Threat of propane blast ends in California
LINCOLN, California?? Authorities say thousands of evacuees are returning home early Thursday after fire crews contained a burning propane rail tanker and ended the threat of a major explosion.
-
Only on msnbc.com
-
How to prepare for Hurricane Irene
-
Karen De Coster
Stocking up on light ahead of bulb phase-out
-
Burger King
Some fast food gets a fresh makeover
-
Family divided in missing Utah woman case
-
Reuters
Rebuilding the poor oil-rich country of Libya
-
AP file
Jobs' resignation marks storied career
-
Wieck
Cadillac aims high with flashy concept car
-
Lincoln Fire Chief Dave Whitt says firefighters allowed the propane rail tanker burn itself out after determining the car held less propane than previously thought.
He said that the blaze from the tanker burned out before midnight, but then crews reignited it to allow vapors caught in the tank to also burn away.
But he says the threat of a catastrophic blast no longer exists and an evacuation order for Lincoln was lifted just after midnight.
Between 4,000 and 5,000 homes in the northern California city of 40,000 people had been evacuated, and more than 6,000 students missed their first days of classes.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44269146/ns/us_news/
merkaba pakistan cupcake cupcake dinosaur romeo and juliet romeo and juliet